Starting on June 8, 2020, the Newbury Public Library will be offering a no-contact porch pick-up of library materials. On July 27th, the library building will be open to the public, with limitations, from 12-4pm, Monday-Thursdays. On September 20th, the Library will add open weekend hours Saturday 11-1pm and Sunday 1-4pm. Visits will be limited to 5 patrons in the building at a time for 30 minutes per visit.
The library will be open to the public Monday-Thursday, from 12-4pm, Saturday 11-1pm and Sunday 1-4pm
- Visits are limited to Mondays-Thursdays from 12-4pm and Saturdays 11-1pm, Sundays 1-4pm, for 30-minute time periods. At any one time, the number of people allowed in the building will be limited to 5, plus 2 staff members. Please wait at the door until it is your turn, if the library is already occupied.
- Please avoid public places if you have any symptoms of COVID, or if you have been around any confirmed or suspected COVID cases.
- Face masks covering your nose and mouth are required in the building. Remember to bring your own mask; we will provide disposable masks if you forget. Porch pick-up is available for those who do not want to or cannot wear a mask. Cloth face coverings should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing, or is otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance.
- Please remember that no space is free of risk, and although we are doing everything we can, it is everyone’s responsibility to create a safe space. CDC guidelines suggest maintaining at least a 6ft distance from other people, and frequently washing your hands using sanitizer when soap and water are not available.
- Library users may browse the shelves, pick up holds or use our computers. We are limiting the number of people in the fiction room, non-fiction room and new shelves to 1 person at a time to provide adequate space for social distancing.
- Please be mindful of the surfaces you touch. If you take a book from the shelves, either check it out, or put it in the quarantine boxes located in each room of the library; do not put it back on the shelf.
- Public computer usage, copying and printing will also be offered; computer usage is limited to 30-minute slots per day. At this time we cannot assist you with close-contact technology help. We will try to help you as much as possible while maintaining social distancing.
- We encourage you to continue to utilize porch pick-up whenever possible.
- Although we would like to keep visits social, we ask that you keep your visits brief to accommodate other patrons.
Why aren’t you open to the public for “normal hours”?
We are limiting our public hours to allow for time for frequent cleaning of the library, and to allow staff to fill porch pick-ups in the mornings. We will update the public when these limitations are relaxed.
What safety precautions is the library taking?
Staff are required to complete daily health screenings, and if they have any potential symptoms of COVID or illness, they must stay home. As a result of this policy, the library may have unplanned temporary closure if we cannot staff the building.
Staff are all wearing masks and following hygiene procedures including frequent hand-washing and sanitizing of surfaces and all public spaces, including bathrooms. The public are also required to wear masks that cover nose and mouth when in the library. We understand that this is something that not everyone can or wants to do, so we also provide porch pick-up for your convenience. We recommend that the public also practice frequent hand-washing, and hygiene procedures when handling books and going out in public.
We are also quarantining books that come back to the library, to minimize virus transmission.
Is this a permanent reopening?
Many factors allow us to re-open to the public, including access to cleaning and sanitizing supplies, access to PPE for staff and patrons, the ability to staff the building/staff illness and compliance with our requirements for the building. Any one of these factors could potentially force us to take a step back in our phased plan, until it is resolved. Unfortunately COVID is altering daily life in so many ways and we don’t know what may come over the next few months, and our highest concern is the safety of the staff and the community.
That being said, we are hopeful we will expand on these services soon, and will notify the public when we are able to re-open further.
Do you have a public restroom?
Yes, our restrooms are open to the public, but we ask that you consider using the restroom before you leave your home, to minimize the number of times our staff have to clean.
The library is currently accepting returns and has an outside dropbox for doing so. We ask that you wear a face mask while returning materials, and that you use hand sanitizer or wash your hands before and after returning any library materials.
How will returning items work?
All returned library materials will be quarantined for a minimum of 4 days inside a designated room of the library. All checked-in items will have a catalog status of “quarantined” to let users know that those items are not available yet. They may still be put on hold, but won’t be released until the quarantine period is complete. For more information on COVID and library materials, see this. As more information becomes available, quarantining may change.
We are available for porch pickup Monday – Thursday: 10 AM – 4 PM, Saturday: 11-1pm, Sunday: 1-4pm
Porch Pick-up Procedures
The library will begin offering porch pickup starting Monday, June 8 – by appointment only. Thank you for your patience as we navigate this new process. Here’s how it will work:
- You may place holds, just as before, by searching/browsing the catalog and then logging in to your account online or by calling the library at 763-5803.You may also request items by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org . If you want more information on how to place holds yourself, check out this video.
- When your holds are ready, you will receive an email or phone notification from the library.
- At that point, you must call the library at (603) 763-5803 to schedule a pickup time, between
10 AM-4 PM Monday-Thursday or Saturday 11-1pm, Sunday 1-4pm.
- Visit the library at your scheduled time to retrieve your materials. At this time, you may also return any items you have out, using the library-approved procedure.
How will I pick up my holds?
Items will be placed on the library porch during your pick-up time only. They will be placed in paper bags labeled with your first name and last initial, as well as your library card number. Items will already be checked out to you with due date slips for your convenience. This service is no-contact, so staff will not be outside.
Is there a limit on materials?
At this time we are not limiting materials for checkout.
How can I find out if my holds are ready?
Call the library at 763-5803 to set up a time for pick up.
How do I place holds on items?
You can place holds directly through our catalog using your library account number, or you may call or email us to request items.
I don’t have a library card! Can I use this service?
Yes! Stop in the library when we are open, and show proof of residency. Call us at 763-5803 for more information.
Can I request items from other libraries?
Yes, the NH State Library’s InterLibrary Loan service is now up and running. If at any point this service is temporarily paused, we will notify the community.
Can I request additional items after I reserve my pickup time?
Yes, but the items requested may not be available for your initial pick-up slot.
How long will you offer this service?
We will offer this service as long as it is needed to help maintain social distancing.
If you have any questions that we did not answer, please call 763-5803 or email us.